The Learning Commons offers FREE tutoring to all currently enrolled UW-Washington County students.
Our goal is to enhance student learning outside of the classroom setting. Tutors are available for writing, math, and other academic areas based on student need. Tutors are hired because they have an interest in helping others and have been recommended by faculty as a good candidate. All tutors must go through a mandatory training session and maintain their own academic success. Tutors are available on a walk-in basis only.
Interested in learning more about becoming a peer tutor? Complete a Tutor Application and return it to Levon Hudson or Jennifer Chamberlain in the Library.
Fall 2015 Tutor Schedule is here. Hours subject to change. If you would like to meet with a tutor, just stop in the tutoring room, located within the Learning Commons (to your left as you enter). Tutors are not available during the summer or winterim terms, or when classes are otherwise not in session, i.e. holidays.
How do I get help from a tutor?
Easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Check the Tutor Schedule on the board outside the tutoring room in the Learning Commons or online.
- Sign in on the iPad with your UserName and Password as you walk in.
- Let the tutor know what you need help with and have a seat!
- Bring all relevant materials to the tutoring session including textbooks, syllabus, class notes, assignments, etc.
- Plan to be an active participant in your session with the tutor.
- Academic success requires that you attend class, read assignments, take class notes, and attempt homework problems.
Things to Remember
- Tutors are NOT homework machines or miracle workers.
- Tutors will NOT have the answer to every question all of the time.
- Tutors are NOT the professor of your class.
- If you procrastinate all semester, working and cramming with a tutor the week before finals will NOT produce great results.
- UW Student Health 101 Online Magazine for interesting and relevant articles
- Kahn Academy for math help
- Wolfram/Alpha for math help
OWL for writing help
Disclaimer: These links are provided as an additional resource, and do not imply endorsement.