Counselor at UW-Washington County

Michelle Appel, MAC, PCTL
email:, phone:  
262-335-5250 x306

A college education offers many opportunities; it also comes with its shares of stress. You may be struggling because of an over-booked schedule, relationship issues, depression, anxiety, grief or loss, drug or alcohol abuse, or another personal concern. It is easy to become distracted from your academic work with life’s concerns.

Counseling can help with the following:

  •     Using personal strengths and attributes in a variety of situations
  •     Identifying problem areas and factors that attribute to difficulties and dissatisfaction
  •     Learning what thoughts and behaviors attribute to and maintain problems and how to change them
  •     Improving stress-management skills
  •     Building self-confidence and self-esteem
  •     Enhancing the quality of relationships
  •     Making better decisions
  •     Leading a more satisfying and fulfilling life

 Common concerns students seek counseling for help with:

  •     Depression
  •     Anxiety
  •     Break-up of a romantic relationship
  •     Family problems
  •     Relational problems with a partner, roommates, friends or professors
  •     Problems with drugs and/or alcohol
  •     Eating disorders
  •     Stress-management
  •     Suicidal thinking
  •     Grief and loss
  •     Lack of motivation

If you would like to speak with someone about your concerns, consider scheduling an appointment with the counselor on campus, Michelle Appel. The counselor's office is located in the College Life Exploration Center on 3rd floor - rm 308. Your visits are private and confidential - no one is given any information about you without your written permission. To schedule an appointment, you can email Michelle, or set up an appointment using the online scheduling tool:  AgileGrad.  Appointments are generally available Monday–Friday 9am-4pm.

UW-Washington County provides short-term mental health counseling for currently enrolled students. If it is assessed that your need for treatment requires long-term counseling or resources/competencies beyond what can be provided, assistance will be given with a referral to an appropriate off-campus mental health provider.

Other Services & Helpful Links

Addiction Center

Alcohol and Other Drug Education (AODE) for UW Colleges Website

Contact information for UW Colleges AODE

Washington County Alcohol & Other Drug Abuse (AODA) Resources 

211 First Call for Help: 414-773-0211
AA Central Office: 414-771-9119 (24 hours)
Acute Care Crisis Line: 262-365-6565 (24 hours)
Affiliated Clinical Services, Inc.: 262-338-2717 (400 W. River Dr., West Bend)
Elevate Community Resource Center: 262-677-2216 (N169W21005 Meadow Lane, Jackson)-formerly Council on AODA

Coalition Against Drug Abuse Hotlines:
Cornerstone Counseling: 262-306-9315 (279 S. 17th, Suite 10, West Bend)
Genesis Behavioral Services, Inc.: 262-338-8611 (1626 Clarence Ct., West Bend)
Kettle Moraine Counseling: 262-334-4340 (125 N. Sixth Avenue, West Bend)
Narcotics Anonymous Helpline: 800-240-0276 (24 hours)
St. Joseph's Hospital: 262-334-5533 (24 hours) ((3200 Pleasant Valley Rd., West Bend)
Wash. County Human Services: 262-335-4545 (24 hours) or 262-335-4583 (333 E. Washington, Suite 2000, West Bend)

 Sexual Assault Resources

AIDS Resource Office: 800-232-4636 (24 hours)
Friends of Abused Families: 262-334-7298 (24 hours)
St. Joseph's Hospital: 262-334-5533 (24 hours) ((3200 Pleasant Valley Rd., West Bend)
St. Joseph's Hospital- Behavioral Health Division: 262-836-7101 (3200 Pleasant Valley Rd., West Bend)
UW-WC Student Affairs Office: 262-335-5201
Wash. County Human Services: 262-335-4545 (24 hours) (333 E. Washington, Suite 2000, West Bend)
West Bend Police: 262-335-5000 (non emergency) or 911 (emergency) (1115 S. Main, West Bend)


Disclaimer: Please note that phone numbers and links included on this website does not imply endorsement.