Honors Program

The University of Wisconsin‐Milwaukee at Washington County Honors Program is a challenge extended to our best students. Through enriched course content and a closer association with professors and other honor students, the college experience is broadened and enhanced through research, creative thought and independent learning. Students who have participated felt they were better prepared for subsequent university work and the ability to earn an Honors Degree at a four-year campus. 

Read our latest newsletter.

Who Qualifies?

This program is designed for highly motivated, above-average students who are new or continuing at UWM at Washington County.

Those who are eligible have accomplished at least one of the following:

  • Graduated in the top 15 percent of their high school class
  • Been enrolled in the UW System for at least one semester and earned a minimum GPA of 3.5
  • Have an ACT score of 27 or higher
  • If you transfer from a college or university outside of the UW System, you may participate in the Honors Program if your GPA is 3.4 or above.

Continuing students will be invited to participate in the program after completing 12 credits or more with a 3.5 GPA or better. To continue in the program students need to maintain a GPA of 3.25 or better each semester.

Honors Awards

If you are in the Honors Program, you may earn an Associate of Arts and Sciences Degree with Honors. To do this, the following must be accomplished: 

  • Earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.25
  • Complete the Associate of Arts and Sciences Degree requirements listed in the UW Colleges Catalog
  • Earn a grade of “B” or better in 12 of the degree credits earned in honors courses
  • Earn at least six of the 12 honors credits, across the humanities, fine arts, social sciences, and/or mathematics/natural sciences

Those who have met the Associate of Arts and Sciences Degree with Honors requirements, need to apply for the degree the semester prior to completion. Check with Enrollment Services.

UWM at Washington County students who successfully complete an honors course are entitled to the following:

  • Honors Course designation on transcript. 
  • A letter of recommendation (upon request) for future scholastic endeavors or work. This letter will be crafted by the student’s professors, edited by the dean, and issued from the dean’s office.
  • Recognition of the Honors cohort at Commencement. 
  • Eligibility to receive the Joseph F. Huber Scholarship in the amount of $250. Criteria will include course grade and faculty evaluations. The UWM at Washington County Honors Committee will make final determination.

Phi Theta Kappa

Honors students with a 3.5 or above cumulative grade point average might wish to join Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), a national two-year honor society. Eligible Students will receive an invitation to join PTK


Many UW System four-year campuses have honors programs to obtain a bachelor's degree with honors. Others campuses may have enrichment studies which do not earn a special degree.

How To Register

You can apply online to the Honors Program. For more information about the Honors Program, e-mail ellyn.lem@uwc.edu or write to:

Professor Ellyn Lem
Professor of English
UWM at Waukesha
1500 N. University Drive 
Waukesha, WI  53188

Anyone may enroll in courses for honors credit, but students not in the Honors Program must have the consent of the class instructor. Special instructions for registering for honors courses are included in the general registration directions. You can add honors after registration in the first two weeks of classes by getting the signature of the instructor. You can drop honors at any time before the end of the semester.

After acceptance into the program, you may enroll in courses designated by an “H” in the credit column of the class schedule. If you want to take a course for honors even though it is not listed for “H” credit, you often can arrange to take it for honors by consulting the professor.

Additional Opportunities:

Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society