The Learning Commons offers FREE tutoring to all currently enrolled University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Washington County students. Our goal is to enhance student learning outside of the classroom setting. Tutors are available for writing, math, and other academic areas based on student need.
The Fall 2018 Writing, English, and Social Science Tutoring schedule is posted here . The Mathematics and Natural Sciences Tutoring schedule is posted here. Please note that hours for the Center are subject to change. Tutors are not available during the summer or winterim terms, or when classes are otherwise not in session, i.e. holidays.
How do I get help from a tutor?
Easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Tutor scheduling is now online! Click here to make an appointment ahead of time if you can.
- Feel like dropping in? No worries! Stop by and if we're available, we will help you set up your appointment then and there!
- Let the tutor know what you need help with and have a seat!
- Bring all relevant materials to the tutoring session including textbooks, syllabus, class notes, assignments, etc.
- Plan to be an active participant in your session with the tutor.
- Academic success requires that you attend class, read assignments, take class notes, and attempt homework problems.
Things to Remember
- Tutors are NOT homework machines or miracle workers.
- Tutors will NOT have the answer to every question all of the time.
- Tutors are NOT the professor of your class.
- If you procrastinate all semester, working and cramming with a tutor the week before finals will NOT produce great results.
Interested in Becoming a Peer Tutor?
Then we're interested in hearing from you! Tutors are hired because they have an interest in helping others and have been recommended by faculty as a good candidate. All tutors must go through a mandatory training session and maintain their own academic success. Complete a Tutor Application and return it to Professor Megan Muthupandiyan, Room 315.