How To Borrow Materials from Other Libraries

Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is a service that enables students, faculty, and staff to borrow materials not owned by UW-Washington County from other libraries. Before making a request always check the UW Colleges Online Library Catalog to see if we already own the item. All correspondence, from the Interlibrary Loan office, will be sent to your official UW-Washington County e-mail account.

From another UW Colleges Campus

The library catalog contains the library records of all 13 UW Colleges Libraries. If you find an item you would like and it is located on another two-year campus, click on the title to bring up the item record, then simply click the "Place Requests" button from the top navigation bar. You will be prompted for your student ID number and last name. It's very important to select UW Washington County as the pick-up location. You will be sent an email confirming your request and the item should arrive in 3-5 days.

From a UW Four-Year (System) Campus

Cick on the "More Libraries" button from any search screen in the catalog, select the "All UW System/Universal Borrowing Libraries," perform your search and follow the procedure above.

Outside the UW System / Traditional Interlibrary loan (ILLiad)

ILLIad is a system you can use to request items, including journal articles, that are not available at UW-Washington County or in the UW System. ILLiad also allows you to track and renew your requests. All UW-Washington County students, faculty and staff have an ILLiad account (click on the ILLiad link to get started). We are able to fill requests for most materials that are owned by other libraries in the state. The amount of time it takes to receive materials from other libraries varies, but most items are received within one week. ILL materials may be picked up at the library and are due back within two weeks. Many journal articles are delivered electronically and may be viewed, printed, or downloaded using ILLiad. There is no charge for this service. Please talk to a librarian to get more information or to place a request.

How to request articles not at UW-Washington County

You should not have to pay for any articles you find. If an article is not full text within a database look for the "Find It" button. Clicking this button will search to see if the article is full text in another resource or you can request it via Interlibrary Loan. You will need the ID# from the front of your student ID card to make a request. It takes about a week perhaps less if it's a widely owned publication.