Mental Health and Career Counseling at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Washington County
Michelle Henderson, MAC, PCTL
Email: Michelle.Henderson@uwc.edu, or by phone: 262-808-4134
A college education offers many opportunities; it also comes with its shares of stress. You may be struggling because of an over-booked schedule, relationship issues, depression, anxiety, grief or loss, or another personal concern. It is easy to become distracted from your academic work with life’s concerns.
Counseling can help with the following:
- Using personal strengths and attributes in a variety of situations
- Identifying problem areas and factors that attribute to difficulties and dissatisfaction
- Learning what thoughts and behaviors attribute to and maintain problems and how to change them
- Improving stress-management skills
- Building self-confidence and self-esteem
- Enhancing the quality of relationships
- Making better decisions
- Leading a more satisfying and fulfilling life
Common concerns students seek counseling for help with:
- Break-up of a romantic relationship
- Family problems
- Relational problems with a partner, roommates, friends or professors
- Suicidal thinking
- Grief and loss
- Lack of motivation
If you would like to speak with someone about your concerns, consider scheduling an appointment with the counselor on campus, Michelle Henderson. The counselor's office is located in the College Life Exploration Center on 3rd floor - rm 308. Your visits are private and confidential - no one is given any information about you without your written permission. To schedule an appointment, you can email Michelle, or call 262/808-4134. Appointments are generally available Monday–Friday between 9am-4pm.
UWM at Washington County provides short-term mental health counseling for currently enrolled students. If it is assessed that your need for treatment requires long-term counseling or resources/competencies beyond what can be provided, assistance will be given with a referral to an appropriate off-campus mental health provider.
Online Resources for Mental Health Counseling, Alcohol & Other Drug Abuse, Sexual Assault, and more...
Kettle Moraine Counseling: 262-334-4340 (125 N. Sixth Avenue, West Bend)
Disclaimer: Please note that phone numbers and links included on this website does not necessarily imply endorsement.
If you want to discuss the following topics, please contact our Counselor, Michelle.Henderson@uwc.edu, or call 262-808-4134.
- Career exploration
- Resume/cover letter writing
- Interviewing tips
Career Related Handouts
Online Career Resources
- The Riley Guide – Explore Career Options
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Career Locker (get the log-in code from the Counseling Office, rm 307)
- Career OneStop
- Monster Board
- Wisconsin Dept of Workforce Development
- UW Help
- College Board
- Bureau of Labor and Statistics
- Volunteer Center of Washington County
- UWM at Washington County Student Employment