Placement Tests are required of all new UW-WC students who plan to take English and Mathematics classes. If you are a Transfer, Special, or Re-Entry student, please check with your Academic Advisor regarding this requirement.
Placement test results from other colleges and universities (outside the UW System) DO NOT replace the UW System Placement Tests. There is a $30 fee for the batch of tests - whether you take just one test or all three, the price is the same. The fee is added to your tuition bill.
We also offer optional Foreign Language Placement Testing in Spanish, French and German. These placement tests are not required but are definitely recommended for anyone planning to continue language study in the UW Colleges. Students do not receive credit for the placement test, but are eligible for retroactive credits if they receive a B or better in their first college course in the language. The number of retro credits available ranges from 4 to 16 depending upon the level at which you begin. We encourage you to consult with your transfer campus to ensure you meet admission and/or graduation foreign language requirements.
Students requesting Disability Accommodations for testing will be scheduled on a non-testing date in our campus Learning Commons. You will need to submit a Request Form along with supporting documentation to the Placement Test Administrator. Test dates are scheduled after your accommodations are approved. Visit the UW College Accessibility page for more information.
How do I sign up?
1. Students NOT attending UW-Washington County:
If you are not a UW-WC student, Regional Placement Testing is the only option that we offer. All other Placement Tests on our campus are for UW-WC students only. Please check the UW System Center for Placement Testing website for other campuses offering Regional Testing.
2. UW-WC STUDENTS ONLY!
IF YOU ARE ATTENDING UW-WC, please check your student email account for more information.
How do I get my Placement Test Results?
UW-WC STUDENTS ONLY: Your results will be available at your Advising/Registration session. Please check your student email for the link to sign up for one of the sessions.
Students NOT attending UW-WC: Your results will be available through your campus Academic Advisor approximately two weeks after testing.
What should I know about testing day?
- A government-issued photo ID is REQUIRED at check-in. (Bring a driver's license, state issued ID, or passport). Students will not be allowed to test without an appropriate photo ID.
- Bring #2 sharpened pencils.
- Bring a NON-GRAPHING calculator. It is not required, but a calculator will not be provided. Graphing calculators and cell phone calculators are not allowed.
- Use the Main Entrance. Be on time! Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. Once testing begins, you will not be permitted to enter the room. Check in just inside the front doors. If you are unfamiliar with the campus, please get directions to campus before the test.
- Plan on approximately 4.5 hours to complete the entire battery of testing (90 min Math, 90 min English, 60 min Foreign Language, plus 30 min for instructions and breaks). If you are not taking all three tests, you can plan accordingly, however, everyone should arrive at the same time, even if you are only taking one test.
If you have any questions please email the Solution Center.