The Learning Center offers FREE tutoring to all currently enrolled UW-Washington County students.
Our goal is to enhance student learning outside of the classroom setting. Tutors are available for writing, math, and other academic areas based on student need. Tutors are hired because they have an interest in helping others and have been recommended by faculty as a good candidate. All tutors must go through a mandatory training session and maintain their own academic success. Tutors are available on a walk-in basis only.
Interested in learning more about becoming a peer tutor? Complete a Tutor Application and return it to the Learning Center Coordinator in room 306.
Tutor Schedule week of 10/20! The Tutor Schedule is updated weekly and subject to change. The schedule is also posted on the bulletin board, located just outside of the Learning Center. Tutors are not available during the summer or winterim terms, or when classes are otherwise not in session, i.e. holidays.
How do I get help from a tutor?
Easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Check the Tutor Schedule on the board outside the Learning Center or online. Come to the Learning Center in room #308 when the tutor is scheduled.
- Sign in on the iPad with your UserName and Password as you walk in.
- Look for the table tent with the subject you want tutoring in. Let the tutor know what you need help with and have a seat!
- Bring all relevant materials to the tutoring session including textbooks, syllabus, class notes, assignments, etc.
- Plan to be an active participant in your session with the tutor.
- Academic success requires that you attend class, read assignments, take class notes, and attempt homework problems.
Things to Remember
- Tutors are NOT homework machines or miracle workers.
- Tutors will NOT have the answer to every question all of the time.
- Tutors are NOT the professor of your class.
- If you procrastinate all semester, working and cramming with a tutor the week before finals will NOT produce great results.
Disclaimer: These links are provided as an additional resource, and do not imply endorsement.
Meet Your Tutor
Professor Vachuska (Math)
Tutor Hours: TTh 9-10
Professor Thapa (Math)
Tutor Hours: T 11-12
Professor Cahill (Math)
Tutor Hours: M 1-3
CASEY (Math, Engineering,Chemistry 125)
Tutor Hours: MWF 9-11am
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Plans after UWWC: I aspire to one day become an Engineering Professor
Courses I will tutor: Math 091 -110, Engineering 105, Chemistry 125
Random Facts about me: I enjoy the outdoors, 4 wheeling, fishing, and spending time with family
LYDIA (Math, Physics, Writing)
Tutor Hours: M 11-12, W 11-12 & 2-4, TTh 10-11 & 2-4
Major: Natural Resource Major
Plans after UWWC: Transfer to UW Steven’s Point, graduate, and save the world
Courses I will tutor: Math (through MAT 221), Physics, and Engineering 201 (I can help with the occasional English/Writing or German as needed)
Random Fact about me: I hugged a tree once
NOAH (Math, Writing, Chinese, Spanish, Economics)
Tutor Hours: MT 12-1, W 12-2, F 9-3
Major: International Business
Plans after UWWC: Transfer to a 4-Year University, not sure where
Courses I will Tutor: Spanish, Chinese (up to CHI 105), Math (up to MAT 222), English/Writing, Economics (ECO 203 and 204)
Random fact about me: I really like to eat Watermelon
Tutor Hours: MW 10-11 & 1-3, TTh 10-11 & 1-2
Major: Spanish Education
Plans after UWWC: Attend UW Madison to finish up my degree, then probably move to Chicago.
Courses I will Tutor: English/Writing, Spanish, Math 098, 105 and 108, and I can help with Psychology, Sociology, Photoshop and Illustrator.
Random fact about me: I have dual citizenship in the US and UK! My favorite shows are The Office, Bob's Burgers, and Orange is the New Black.
STEVE (Math, Philosophy)
Tutor Hours: M 10-11 & 1-2, W 9-10 & 1-2, Th 12-1, F 9-12
Plans after UWWC: Transfer to UW Milwaukee
Courses I will tutor: Math 091-110, 113, Psychology 202, Philosophy 101, and Philosophy 201
Random fact about me: I’ve done martial arts for the past ten years and love to write poetry
Tutor Hours: MWF 11-1
Plans after UWWC: Transfer to UW Milwaukee for my bachelor’s degree, then to graduate school for DPT
Courses I will tutor: English/Writing
Random fact about me: Throughout my life I have never lived in one area more than three years.